Friday, May 27, 2011

Let's Get Physical

Planning events can be a physically grueling process especially when you do a lot of it yourself and aren't hiring outside people. I've done events where we had multiple carloads and even truckloads of supplies. For any event, the teardown is usually the most physical part of the process, but it is oddly one of my favorite parts. Many times I would make multiple trips up and down several flights of stairs to put decorations and other items in the bride and groom's suite. I've finished tearing down weddings at 3am! You are on your feet for about 12+ hours straight, and it is just exhausting. But I would not trade it for sitting at a desk permanently any day!

No one does events like my dad. Here is a guy that should be pursuing an event planning career. He looks for any excuse to throw a party, and he has taken my graduation party and run with it! He and his crew set up a stage and dance floor today, and we filled two flat carts and two normal carts of food and
alcohol at Sam's today.

I looked like this all day at Sam's as I tried pushing those heavy carts around:

The physical part of the planning starts in all the preliminaries of an event


The cashier was as the Dixie Chicks put it...Ready to run! Okay, not really. 


We had people in the parking lot stop and ask if we needed help loading, and everyone kept telling us they wanted to come to our party! 



I am so thankful, but my stress levels were slightly high because I never expected this party to grow this large! I am so excited to have so many people come together and just have a good time.

I could not be more thankful for my parents! My dad has taken car of ordering everything and will be cooking all day tomorrow and just doing all the production of this thing from A to Z. As the official planner in the family, I feel slightly incompetent. He has thrown parties like these so many times that he just gets into a zone and goes! He is the Energizer Bunny. My mom is such a trooper for keeping up with him, and has been so helpful from all the shopping with me, to being in charge of all the mailing, and encouraging me in all my decorating. She's been so great and practically bed-ridden due to a back injury!  Speaking of, she is one of the shyest people you will ever meet, and my dad threw a surprise party for her 40th birthday. No, it was not a quaint intimate affair. He put carpet down in my high school gym and a dance floor, and we filled it with 300 people who came to celebrate this phenomenal woman. She totally deserved every bit of it, but the poor thing ran out the door as soon as she walked in!!

My dad just does not do anything small! One day I will be able to keep up with his pace.

Tomorrow, will consist of setting up tables, filling ice chests, cooking, some decorating, cleaning, and just the all around process that goes into a party in which everyone we know is invited.

Since I am a party planner and hate being the center of attention, I am going to have a hard time accepting the fact that people are coming to celebrate a milestone in my life. I am so thankful for all the love and support, and I know I am going to be completely overwhelmed!

Dad, I hope I can one day produce as effectively and efficiently as you! And Mom, I'm sorry you have to put up with our crazy selves! You've been nothing but supportive and so much more!

Stay tuned for a re-cap!!

No comments:

Post a Comment