Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Life of an Event Planner


Things have been quite eventful in the event planning world for me as of late! I am currently still crafting and working on the design of my graduation party, but I am keeping my creations under wraps until I reveal them at the party!

One of the companies I get to intern with is Constance Curtis Events, and I have learned so much from her. Last week, I had the privilege of working on an inspiration shoot, and was so grateful to have the opportunity to get to work with so many talented people and companies! We collaborated with Ribbons and Rust (If you have never met Stephanie, you have to! She's so much fun!),  Be Inspired,  Momental Designs, David Rich Photography, Cupcakes Couture of Manhattan Beach, and Dolce Design Studio at the Ritz Carlton in Marina Del Rey. What a life! =) 

Here are some photos of Stephanie and Constance: 

"Will a ladder in the waterfall hurt the fish?"


Got our shoulder workout in for the day!

The shoot, which I will reveal after it gets published, was unlike anything I had ever seen and included suspending the desserts over a waterfall—talk about an experiment! Every detail of the shoot had careful thought, and it was an exhausting and exciting day! I will remember not to pull an all-nighter studying for a test the night before a photo-shoot in the future  =)

Working side-by-side with Constance has been such an amazing experience. I have seen so many gorgeous venues here in Southern California and learned so much about the details that go into producing an event. I have gotten to assist at the Grand Del Mar, Hotel Maya, and many others and have gotten to work with a number of talented vendors.

Preparing checklists for couples that plan anywhere from a year and a half out to 3 months out, wedding day timelines, and budgets require the use of a fine toothed comb, and you wouldn’t believe the attention to detail that is needed. I can only hope that I can one day analyze these documents at the speed and precision that Constance can!

The actual wedding day is both mentally and physically challenging. It requires extreme micromanaging from making sure everyone is in the right spot at the right time to making sure the napkins are folded correctly.  Rounding groomsmen and lining them up reminds of days I used to help with kindergarten classes in middle school =)

I am excited for this weekend’s wedding in La Jolla at the La Valencia!! Stay tuned for details on that as well as my adventures with Blair Britt Events

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I know this is so random, but we're friends on Facebook and I saw this post and was interested. I just finished my event planning internship at DreamWorks Animation and was looking to find an actual event planning company to intern or work with. How did you go about finding your internship at Constance Curtis Events? Do you have any tips from your search? Thanks a lot for any insight you may have!

    ReplyDelete